Saturday, September 11, 2010

#1 The Sunshine!


I've just spent a week in San Diego. Every morning featured thick black clouds, a cool chill to the air, and no sun. Granted the clouds burned off by 1 or 2 but those mornings of deprivation left me seriously deficient. The first thing I did when we returned home was to stand, facing the sun, arms outstretched. I felt immediately restored. I LOVE THE SUNSHINE.
I love the way it penetrates the cold. I like the way my car seat back gets really hot and eases my back pain when I settle in against it. I love being able to dry clothes in minutes on the line. I also love using good ole sunshine as a disinfectant for items that cannot be bleached, or run through the clothes washer or dishwasher.
I grew up in Rochester, NY. We got very little sun there. NY has a comparatively higher rate of cancer than Arizona and other places that have significantly more sun exposure. I choose to believe there is a correlation.
Sunshine makes me happy, its golden rays and the way it helps the flowers grow :-)

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading up on this as research for my book. Vitamin D deficiency is related to depression (obviously), pain and skin lesions that won't heal. The further from the equator you get, the higher the rate of these maladies. There is clearly a correlation between my happiness and my amount of sun exposure and, apparently, my health and my sun exposure.

    ReplyDelete